Uninvited Guests: Helping or Griefing?

Started by herodotus2, September 03, 2004, 01:27:44 pm

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

herodotus2

Quote from: "http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=330205"
In this post, when I refer to "outside guilds", I mean non-allied guilds. For instance, Forsaken shares our city spot with AIL, LC, etc. We are allied with them, and they are "invited" guests to our raids, as far as I understand. Anyway, you get the point - invited vs. uninvited.

So far today, there has been a lot of uninvited guesting. Some uninvited guests like to call what they do "helping" the "defenders." Under NW tower attack logic, OK.

However.

In most cases, the "defenders" are actually doing everything possible to get an alien attack, so they can get alien XP and alien phats. It is not, in some cases, well recieved to have 50 people show up when you finally get aliens to spawn in the city you invested 500 million credits in, attack and kill the aliens, then loot their corpses.

Further, it is more than a little bothersome when the uninvited guests happen to be of opposite alignment, not only for political and philisophical reasons, but because they filthy up your tab list (say, when you're a doctor trying to heal people outside of your team using /assist) - and even more bothersome when they show up PvP flagged, and all of your AoE attacks and procs and accidental attacks make you flagged.

So.

We have an organization making a major investment in time, credits, and energy to build a city.

We have the rewards of these endeavours being reaped by freeloading "helpers" who charge in and killsteal and ninja loot without asking.

We have PvP griefing in the middle of all of it.

Now, I'm sure that a lot of this will die down as the "novelty" of alien attacks lessens, but how acceptable is it, really, to take part in another organization's "defense"?

I say, if you don't have a deal with them, steer freaking clear, same way you don't run up to a merc raid and stand around the corpses.

All I know is that it was damn near impossible to do anything with so many people around, the lag was horrible, and I know we didn't get all of the loot that fell. Omnis showed up and started procing AoE blinds and crap, and generally making a nuissance of themselves while insisting that they were helping us defend our city. The boss alien was almost KSed from us.

Unacceptable. Un-freaking-acceptable. Ask before you gank.

herodotus2

^ Bump to Foresakens Thread ^

Alpherah

Just want to say, some peeps i dont mind, especially if they ask. But when it gets to the extent it was lastnight (literally 100-150 peeps from "non allied" orgs) it gets a bit past a joke :/ spread out and camp someone elses HQ as well ffs :/

Evil White Ranger

Quote from: "Alpherah"
Just want to say, some peeps i dont mind, especially if they ask. But when it gets to the extent it was lastnight (literally 100-150 peeps from "non allied" orgs) it gets a bit past a joke :/ spread out and camp someone elses HQ as well ffs :/

I agree there, I would be pretty angry if that happened at our site.

[size=10]Hi, I own a Dino Stegazord, it has a big laser I like to shoot things with.[/size]

Tresor

To prevent this, don t forget to tell your guild members not to 'invite' all their friends ... ;)

If they are not aware of alien attacks, they can t come and 'help' you ...
Tresor - Agent - Clan - Atlantean
President of .:! Les Hurleurs !:.

Vortex

May be this is due to a lack of availabilities of aliens...

Funcom claims that aliens wont be spawned on demand after petioning any more since they regard the spawning as being fixed. As a result, we didn t get any important attack on our little village regrouping 4 omni and 1 clan guilds....at european playing time. Just a few attacks with 2 aliens after unactivating the cloaking device.

How frustrating it can be for somebody that left his team to join the defense of  the city and wait for hours not to see any alien...What do you think he will do next time. Just stick to his team. May be hop from one town to another.

Often, players griefing is due to a disfunctioning system. And the way aliens are currently spawning is certainly disfunctioning.

Gellex

the alien attacks are fixed tho. they have been working properly last few days for us now. ".. your controller needs to be healthy and you need to have 5 or more members of your org online" something like that is needed to get a full attack with general and everything..

I helped an org once with snaring against aliens when I passed by.. Now I see how it might have been disturbing
Gellex,
-Member of Regulators, Rimor

Evil White Ranger

I doubt they gave a crap if you were just snaring.

[size=10]Hi, I own a Dino Stegazord, it has a big laser I like to shoot things with.[/size]

Go Up